SUMMARY: The Kitchen Associate works with the chefs and event staff to produce food that lives up to Prairie Berry’s reputation for gourmet excellence. As part of the Kitchen team the Associate may be asked to perform all elements of Kitchen work, from prep to dishwashing, waiting on customers to plating food beautifully. Teamwork, flexibility, commitment to maintaining a safe workplace, and a strong work ethic are all vital for success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- MUST work weekends and evenings
- Has a reputation for giving great service to guests and co-workers
- Communicates clearly with managers, kitchen and other personnel
- Able to work in a fast-paced kitchen environment
- Able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 40 pounds
- Able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 7 hours)
- Able to work in loud environment for long periods of time
- Treats customers and co-workers with courtesy and respect
- Completes Training Passport within the stated timeframes
- Follows sanitation, safety and serving procedures
- Prepares all items needed for daily Kitchen operations
- Restocks all items as needed throughout the shift
- Prepares menu items ordered by guests in an efficient and timely manner and correctly prepares orders with special dietary needs
- Understands and follows food preparation and presentation standards and makes certain all plates leaving the kitchen meet our high standards
- Assists PB Kitchen Chefs with daily tasks including preparation event menu items
- Knows and follows opening and closing procedures
- Understands and follows all safety procedures in the kitchen
- Has understanding and knowledge to properly use and maintain all kitchen equipment
- Cleans and maintains Kitchen and storage areas while practicing good safety, sanitation, and organizational skills
- Washes dishes and has knowledge of the chemical information and where to locate the SDS binder
- Positively responds to requests for assistance from co-workers, supervisors and customers
- Keeps workspace clean and organized
- Notices when help is needed in all areas of the Kitchen or during a special event
- Finds work to do when slow
- Facilitates the coordination of food orders amongst KI prep staff, making certain orders are prepared in a timely, efficient and accurate manner.
- Makes certain items are added to the order list, when stocking levels warrant, to ensure menu ingredients are available when needed.
- Contacts appropriate service professionals when issues arise with kitchen equipment, and secures approval from KI chef to move forward with any billable repair.
- Works event shifts as needed, including early mornings, evenings and weekends, assisting in the preparation, plating and delivery of event menu items and end of event clean-up.
- Understands and follows the kitchen and event inventory procedures and portion control guidelines.
- Verifies quantities received from food suppliers match the invoice, makes note of any discrepancies and notify KI chef.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 1+ years Kitchen food prep experience preferred
- Has experience working in the foodservice/hospitality industry preferred
- Has good problem-solving and communication skills
- Is able to work independently and as a member of a team
- Is passionate about food and wants to learn more
- Is self-motivated, especially under pressure
- Likes to have fun at work and stays positive under stress
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is frequently required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Events can have higher level of noise at times.